Foot & Ankle Specialty
Achilles Tendon Rupture
Achilles Tendon Rupture Treatment in Columbia, SC
What is Achilles Tendon Rupture?
The Achilles tendon is a strong, fibrous cord in the back of your lower leg that connects your calf muscle to your heel bone. When you have an Achilles tendon rupture, it means this tendon has torn or completely broken.
This injury typically occurs when the tendon is overstretched, such as during a sudden jump or turn, often during sports activities. An Achilles tendon rupture can significantly impair your ability to walk, run, or climb stairs. It’s comparable to snapping a rubber band and is frequently accompanied by a sharp pain in the back of the ankle or calf.
What are the Symptoms of an Achilles Tendon Rupture?
If you’ve ruptured your Achilles tendon, you may experience various symptoms. These can include:
- A sudden, sharp pain akin to being struck or kicked at the back of your ankle or calf
- Swelling near your heel or a noticeable indentation where the tendon has torn
- Difficulty in walking, running, or climbing stairs
- Challenges in moving your foot or standing on your toes on the injured side
- Hearing a ‘pop’ or ‘snap’ sound at the time of injury
- Bruising in the surrounding area after a few hours
Symptoms can vary among individuals. Prompt medical attention is crucial if you observe any of these symptoms.
What Causes an Achilles Tendon Rupture?
Achilles tendon ruptures are often the result of a sudden, forceful motion that overextends the tendon, such as jumping or sprinting. These high-impact movements can cause the tendon to tear if overstretched.
Risk factors include age (more common in people aged 30 to 40), male gender, history of Achilles tendinitis, or certain antibiotic medications. Athletes in sports like basketball, soccer, or tennis that involve quick starts and stops are also at increased risk. However, it’s important to note that most people do not suffer an Achilles tendon rupture even with these risk factors.
At Midlands Orthopaedics & Neurosurgery, our goal is simple. We want to help you get back to your best shape in the safest and quickest way possible, so you can enjoy the activities you love most.
How Can Midlands Orthopaedics & Neurosurgery Assist with Achilles Tendon Ruptures?
At Midlands Orthopaedics & Neurosurgery, we aim to expedite your recovery in the safest manner possible. Our expert team is committed to helping you confidently and easily resume your daily activities and sports.
What Treatment Options Are Available for an Achilles Tendon Rupture?
Treatment for an Achilles tendon rupture focuses on reconnecting the torn tendon and restoring its functionality. The most suitable approach can depend on factors such as age, activity level, and the severity of the injury. Treatment options include:
- Non-surgical treatment: Typically involves using a cast or walking boot with wedges to elevate your heel, allowing the Achilles tendon to heal naturally.
- Surgery: Involves stitching the torn tendon back together. This option may reduce the risk of re-rupture and is often preferred by active individuals or in cases of complete ruptures.
- Physical therapy: Essential after surgery or during non-surgical treatment, exercises to strengthen your leg muscles and Achilles tendon are vital to regain full functionality.
- Pain management: Over-the-counter pain relievers can effectively manage pain and swelling.
Why Choose Midlands Orthopaedics & Neurosurgery for Your Achilles Tendon Rupture Care in Columbia, SC?
At Midlands Orthopaedics & Neurosurgery, we prioritize your quick and safe return to your preferred activities. If you’re experiencing any of the symptoms above, our foot and ankle specialists are here to provide you with the best care. Schedule an appointment today at one of our locations and take the first step towards recovery.